Monday 26 April 2010

So apparently my hand is broken

Went to see my orthopedic consultant today. Now he is apparently one of the best hand surgeons in the country, his nurse told me no less than five times how wonderfully talented he is.
I first saw Mr. Hargreaves in September of last year, I've since been to his clinic four times, yet never really been given a difinative diagnosis. He has sent me for an MRI of my shoulder, for 2 sets of nerve conduction studies and several blood tests.
He, to start with, thought I had either a pinched nerve in my elbow or a brachial plexus injury. Apparently I have neither of them.
He told me today that I have, for a reason he does not know, a huge lack of ED tendons in my right hand. Apparently he should be able to easily feel them working, but cannot. He has asked for me to have an ultrasound scan of my hand to give a full diagnosis.
He did however say that the ultrasound was only going to conferm his diagnosis, so that we all knew the cause of my massivly weak right hand.
The only treatment he could offer me would mean that I would regain some function in my 2 rubbish fingers, however I would never be able to bend or straighten each finger on it's own. They would all need to either be in a fist, or straight. I don't think this would be a good move, it would make even simple things such as typing very difficult, maybe this would be an option at a later time, but not in the near future.
It is nice, even if nothing can be done, to finally have the possability of a name for what's causing my strange hand. I was starting to think my brain was making it up.

Anyway, it's almost midnight and my headache is preventing me sleeping. I hope this will subside and allow me a few hours of proper sleep, I'm off to pizza hut and the cinema tomorrow. Not too sure if my head will enjoy looking at a screen for two hours =\



No comments:

Post a Comment