Thursday 20 February 2014

Crazy coma kinda time.

So I don't want to go into any great depth into what happened as it was traumatic for my family and I'm still struggling with flash backs. 
Due to drug interactions I became very unwell on Sunday late afternoon. I have no memory from this point so this was second hand info so hoping I get it right. 
I was rushed to hospital via an ambulance. By the time I arrived I was displaying a GCS of 3. If you don't know what GCS is, as I didn't before this week, it's a simple test to see if patient responds to pain, vocal commands and eye movement. The highest is 15, showing a normal reaction to all of these. The lowest is 3 means that no amount of pain, shouting or force was able to rouse a patient. This is termed a deep coma or death. I was GCS of 3 on arrival. I was immediately intubated and sedated and taken to intensive care Sunday night. Monday I remained in a slightly shallower coma, maybe GCS of 5 or 6, and was slowly starting to squeeze hands ect but not too much more. I have memories of this day but they are vague and kinda scary. Tuesday morning I must have decided I was no longer wanting the breathing tube, rather scaring the nurse when I sat up, and successfully grabbed her followed by me desperately trying to pull out the breathing tube. I wasn't quite ready so after some sedation I popped back into dream land. Later that morning I was ready and finally was extubated. I was able to be more aware of my surroundings. I had lovely nurses who braided my hair as I slept and treated me with upmost dignity and the respect for me in some situations which were horrible. 
I moved off icy on Tuesday night to a step down ward close by. Thursday (today) I came home. Hardcore stuff to go from coma to home in so few days. 
I am lucky to be alive and wouldn't be without the staff at southampton general and my family and friends so big up them. 
Now I'm feeling muscle weakness, A fair bit of pain and a lot of brushing. 
So that's my crazy week. Let me know about yours in a comment below or on the little form on the right. 

No comments:

Post a Comment